Trump says there were no documents found at Mar-a-Lago, just ‘cool’ empty folders marked classified

Donald Trump leaped to Mike Pence’s defence on Tuesday after it emerged that classified documents had been found in the vice president’s Indiana home.

In a Truth Social post, Mr Trump called Mr Pence an “innocent man” and urged people to “leave him alone”.

It’s a marked difference from his response to the discovery of classified documents at President Joe Biden’s Wilmington home and an office he used in Washington DC.

Now, classified documents have been found at the homes of Mr Trump, Mr Biden and Mr Pence, prompting investigations into the matters.

The latest discovery at Mr Pence’s home comes the same day that a Georgia prosecutor said that a decision was “imminent” around whether or not to bring charges against Mr Trump and his allies over their efforts to overturn the 2020 election in the state.

A judge in Fulton County is expected to rule over the public release of a grand jury report following an eight-month probe into Mr Trump’s alleged actions.

On Tuesday, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said she opposed the report being made public just yet, as she suggested that the special grand jury had recommended multiple indictments.

1674655229

Trump blames others on his notorious Georgia call for not hanging up on him

Donald Trump issued a potentially revealing statement on Truth Social as news broke Tuesday that authorities in Fulton County, Georgia, are nearing a decision on charges for multiple members of his inner circle — including potentially Mr Trump himself.

The ex-president, out of nowhere, brought up his now-infamous 2 January 2021 call to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger in which he instructed the state elections chief to “find” more than 11,000 votes he would have needed to surpass Joe Biden’s total in the state.

“My phone call to the Secretary of State of Georgia, and a second call which the Marxists, Communists, Racists, and RINOS don’t even want to talk about, were “PERFECT” calls. Many people, including lawyers for both sides, were knowingly on the line. I was protesting a RIGGED & STOLEN Election, which evidence proves it was,” claimed the former president.

Read the full story here:

Rachel Sharp25 January 2023 14:00

1674653429

Georgia prosecutor says charges may be ‘imminent’ in efforts to overturn election in state

A Georgia prosecutor said that a decision was “imminent” around whether or not to bring charges against Donald Trump and his allies over their efforts to overturn the 2020 election in the state.

A judge in Fulton County is currently hearing arguments about the public release of a grand jury report following an eight-month probe into Mr Trump’s alleged actions.

On Tuesday, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis said she opposed the report being made public just yet, as she suggested that the special grand jury had recommended multiple indictments.

“Decisions are imminent,” she said.

“We want to make sure that everyone is treated fairly, and we think for future defendants to be treated fairly it’s not appropriate at this time to have this report released.”

Rachel Sharp25 January 2023 13:30

1674651600

Proud Boys expected ‘civil war,’ witness testifies

The month before the riot at the US Capitol, members of the far-right nationalist gang the Proud Boys were growing increasingly angry about the outcome of the 2020 election and were expecting a “civil war,” a former member told jurors on Tuesday as he took the stand in the seditious conspiracy case against the group’s former leader.

Proud Boys expecting ‘civil war’ before Jan. 6, witness says

A witness at the Capitol riot trial of Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio says that the month before the riot, members of the far-right extremist group were growing increasingly angry about the outcome of the 2020 election and were expecting a “civil war.”

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 13:00

1674649829

Trump leaps to Pence’s defence over classified documents

Donald Trump leaped to Mike Pence’s defence on Tuesday after it emerged that classified documents had been found in the vice president’s Indiana home.

In a Truth Social post, Mr Trump called Mr Pence an “innocent man” and urged people to “leave him alone”.

“Mike Pence is an innocent man. He never did anything knowingly dishonest in his life. Leave him alone!!!” he wrote.

Whether or not Mr Trump’s defence of his former right-hand man was genuine, remains to be seen.

However, his comments are a marked difference from his response to the discovery of classified documents at President Joe Biden’s Wilmington home and an office he used in Washington DC.

Now, classified documents have been found at the homes of Mr Trump, Mr Biden and Mr Pence, prompting investigations into the matters.

Rachel Sharp25 January 2023 12:30

1674648000

Video resurfaces of Mike Pence denying taking classified documents

In an ABC News interview last year, Mike Pence strictly denied taking any classified material from the White House upon leaving the administration upon Joe Biden’s swearing-in.

“Did you take any classified documents with you from the White House?” Mr Pence is asked in the clip by ABC’s David Muir.

“I did not,” he responds.

He then goes further, digging the hole deeper, and adds: “[T]here’d be no reason to have classified documents, particularly if they were in an unprotected area”.

Today it was reported that a lawyer for the former vice president had recently turned over a dozen classified records to the FBI after they were found his home in Indiana.

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 12:00

1674644400

ICYMI: Trump invokes another racist attack on his transportation secretary, baselessly linking her to Biden documents

Donald Trump has revived his thinly veiled racist attack against his former transportation secretary Elaine Chao, whom the former president baselessly connected to Joe Biden’s classified documents case because of right-wing media scrutiny involving their alleged storage in Washington DC’s Chinatown.

His statement on Truth Social from 23 January involves a series of disconnected right-wing media claims and conspiracy theories, all spuriously intertwined by Mr Trump’s ongoing attacks against Ms Chao and her husband, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 11:00

1674640800

Lawsuits, jail threats and ‘enemy of the people’: Donald Trump’s endless war on the media

During the four years of his presidency, he called journalists and news outlets “fake news” roughly 2,000 times, averaging more than one daily broadside against the press and continuing a long legacy of attempts to undermine his critics that has continued well after his time in the White House.

Following the “leak” of a draft of what became the US Supreme Court’s ruling to strike down Roe v Wade, Mr Trump has repeatedly demanded that the journalist and outlet that published the draft be thrown in jail if they don’t reveal their source, accelerating the former president’s public war on the media.

A brief history of his recent attacks:

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 10:00

1674637200

ICYMI: Fox News mocked over its latest culture war obsession – the ‘woke’ Xbox

After getting M&Ms to drop their spokescandies amid right-wing claims that the cartoon chocolate characters weren’t attractive enough, Fox News personalities have identified a new target in the culture wars: Xbox.

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 09:00

1674633600

Nick Fuentes returns to Twitter

Twitter banned 24-year-old fascist influencer Nick Fuentes in 2021 for his “repeated violations” of the platform rules, leading to a wave of far-right accounts flocking to other platforms like Telegram, where he has more than 53,000 subscribers.

At 7.30am ET, a verified account with his name posted a meme of the character Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants to announce his return to the social media platform, where new owner Elon Musk has opened the door to white nationalist, neo-Nazi and other far-right extremist accounts.

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 08:00

1674630000

ICYMI: Georgia DA says charge decision is imminent in Trump election interference as grand jury report kept secret

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has asked that a special grand jury report on efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to reverse his 2020 election loss be kept under seal because she is still considering whether to ask for criminal charges against people involved in the schemes.

Speaking before Judge Robert McBurney at a Tuesday hearing in Georgia to determine whether the report will be publicly released, Ms Willis told the judge that making it public at this time could prejudice future cases against potential defendants.

“We think for future defendants to be treated fairly it’s not appropriate at this time for the report to be released,” she said. She added that “decisions are imminent” regarding whether she will seek indictments.

Alex Woodward25 January 2023 07:00



Source link

https://wakelet.com/wake/4u1PR17R1YOAZCjMqR4Qj
https://wakelet.com/wake/mARdTcbL7ZbeGTgfi_ueS
https://wakelet.com/wake/nnwGDJRUFNDStxtDQ_fw5